VPS recommendations | PlexGuide.com

VPS recommendations

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
is it any good for running a plex server? BTW, how to mount multiple team drives on one PG. It seems, that you can manage only one tdrive.
You can manually mount additional ones by creating remotes using sudo rclone config. Once you mount them you can have them added to the unionfs mergerfs in the PG options menu.

Alternatively you can install the latest rclone beta which supports Google's new shortcuts feature, then make shortcuts on your mounted team drive to the other team drives via the Google drive web interface. Note the account you are mounted with must have access to the shortcut paths.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
With any VPS that doesn't have dedicated cores/bandwidth, you are at the mercy of how other users sharing those resources on the same node use them, so if someone with the same VPS can get 10 transcodes and you can get 5, that's just how it is.

Reactions: 1 users

bxta

Citizen+
Donor
Jun 11, 2019
I will Check later how good it can Transcode...at the Moment its all direct Play.
Post automatically merged:

I just tried with 8 trans 1080p --> 720p and one direct Play. Its stable, but CPU is around 99%

3 UHD to 720p and one direkt play was also Ok, but CPU was at 99%, a least it was stable.

Do you need more infos? I

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I will Check later how good it can Transcode...at the Moment its all direct Play.
Post automatically merged:

I just tried with 8 trans 1080p --> 720p and one direct Play. Its stable, but CPU is around 99%

3 UHD to 720p and one direkt play was also Ok, but CPU was at 99%, a least it was stable.

Do you need more infos? I
Strange, Plex themselves state (and I’ve generally found it to be reasonably accurate) that to transcode a single 4K H265 8bit file to 1080p/10Mbit is 12K of CPU Mark. The RS4000 G9 is based on the 7702p, a 64c/128t CPU that’s started as pulling an impressive 64K of CPU Mark, you get 6 (shared) cores on that CPU. Now even ignoring the reservations made by the host to ensure management/smooth running, the hyper visor in use and the over provisioning on a VPS so they have a chance to recoup some money, 6 cores will give you roughly 6K of CPU mark and you need circa 36K. Even if you drop it to H264 and use 8K per 4K 8bit transcode, that’s 24K of CPU Mark.... it just doesn’t add up even if you have dedicated bare metal cores. I’m not saying you are wrong, but the metrics Plex state are reasonably accurate and the CPU data is reasonably accurate, so are you sure it’s UHD you were transcoding? As if it was just 1080p, what you say makes nearly perfect sense.

• Thinking
Reactions: 2 users

bxta

Citizen+
Donor
Jun 11, 2019
yes you are right, it was also a little surprising for me. btw. netcup guarantees 6 dedicated cores (no shared like a vps ). so, i did the following:

1. Start First Sream (Web app 4K HEVC Main 10 HDR) --> 720p 2 Mbps --> CPU [email protected]%
2. Start Second Stream (same file and same transc. Quality )
3. Start Second Stream (same file same transc. Quality )

When playing 3 Stream, they are buffering once in a while. With two Stream, i dont see any buffering.
In generell without any Hardware Decoding i would force my clients to use Direct Stream....

Reactions: 1 user

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Just to be clear, I’m not doubting what you observed, it just doesn’t make a lot of sense based on accepted logic (CPU’s capabilities/performance and accepted metric of performance per transcode) which means something somewhere isn’t right and that’s what I’m trying to get my head around.

Using the (Plex provided) figures below, HDR is even more demanding than the SDR figures I used (don’t even get me started on 4K transcoding being pointless or HDR tone mapping being broken), admittedly you are going down to 720p, but that’s not really going to make a massive difference, using the 17k figure, you now need 51K of CPU Mark from a 64 core CPU that is only capable of 64K from all cores and you’re getting that in 6... That really doesn’t add up. Now, if you stage your transcoding work and work the buffer system, at least short term, you can in theory run more transcodes than your CPU is capable of on paper for a while, and the bigger the buffer/faster the CPU, the longer you get away with it, and you’re likely running lower bit-rate 4K than the example Plex provide, but even if we halve the requirements for HDR to 25.5K for 3x streams or use the SDR figures and halve that, its 18K, so depending anything from 50-100% higher than the 12K 6 cores gives you.

The Guideline
Very roughly speaking, for a single full-transcode of a video, the following PassMark score requirements are a good guideline for the following average source file:

• 4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
  • 4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMarkscore (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
  • 1080p (10Mbps, H.264) file: 2000 PassMark score
  • 720p (4Mbps, H.264) file: 1500 PassMark score

Last edited:

ItherNiT

Citizen
Oct 22, 2019
It feels like plex is way more optimized for Intel cpu's than for AMD's in my opinion. That said the support for GPU's are kinda nice, but I'm still having some trouble getting it to run correctly.

A side note to the mods/admin any chance we can get a google doc for all of the vps's recommended here?
It can be nice to have a comparison of whats available at what price, without having to dig through multiple posts and a variety of google searches.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
It feels like plex is way more optimized for Intel cpu's than for AMD's in my opinion. That said the support for GPU's are kinda nice, but I'm still having some trouble getting it to run correctly.

A side note to the mods/admin any chance we can get a google doc for all of the vps's recommended here?
It can be nice to have a comparison of whats available at what price, without having to dig through multiple posts and a variety of google searches.
Not sure why you would feel that, in raw CPU mark terms $/CPU Mark AMD wins, similar with power to do that. If you want HW transcoding, it’s intel every time as the iGPU is massively better for HW transcoding than any AMD APU/GPU.

VPS wise you generally only find 3-4 providers mentioned/recommended on here in most circumstances, I could list 100+, but it would be a waste of time/effort.

Reactions: 2 users

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending