What would you do? MacBook | PlexGuide.com

What would you do? MacBook

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

ZeroFux

Active
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
I have a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro that still runs like day 1. Apple has moved it to the obsolete category so I’m going to make 1 last appointment to have the battery replaced while supplies last. 8 years out of a $3K daily use machine isn’t bad.

That being said, Apple has also announced their switch to Arm within 2 years and my MBP won’t run any OS after Catalina.

What would you recommend?
  1. keep milking every drop out of the 2020 rMBP and wait for the transition to ARM to be complete
  2. jump on the upgrade wagon now and get a new 16” MBP which would continue to be supported for years to come
  3. jump on the upgrade band wagon but wait for the next Intel “spec bump” refresh
Honestly, I’ll probably stick to Option 1 and just keep using this machine. It really is great build quality with no issues, but a second opinion never hurts....

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
if it's efficient and it works - good for business, no need to change. <------------------------I like this one for your situation and agree with you.
if it's a video editing machine with a warranty and like your said supported for years to come, then upgrade.
No money issue, get the new upgraded apple out now, keep the old for the backup and then buy a new Razor laptop. Then later get the newest one you want, it's the vicious circle.

The point is, we probably can't make that decision for you, but here are my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Given how easy it’s been to keep other unsupported Apple hardware on current OSX builds, I’d not worry. I’d also not be rushing into a launch cycle ARM offering, it tends not to end that well.

Enjoy: http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

thefireman

Experienced
May 3, 2020
I would never give $3K for any laptop, but that's your choice to make.
On to your question now. If you are happy with it, then there is no need to change anything. The moment you start feeling it does no longer cover your needs, then it is time to have a look at your upgrade options.
Yes, the are often technological milestones to consider, but put those aside. It's really time to upgrade when you feel like it is time to do so. ;)

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
That's how many people who haven't owned a MacBook Pro feel - I said the same, till I got one. For the money, you could (and I have) usually buy a better spec IBM/Lenovo, Samsung, HP, Acer, Dell and even some nice curve ball stuff from respected OEM's, the thing is even dropping a few grand on something from any of those OEM's usually ends badly, since IBM sold Lenovo, pretty much nothing will last 8+ years of daily use, let alone still be in the kind of condition where it will likely go on for several more. They have had issues over the years, but I have usually found apple easier to deal with than anyone else in this respect.

thefireman

Experienced
May 3, 2020
That's how many people who haven't owned a MacBook Pro feel - I said the same, till I got one. For the money, you could (and I have) usually buy a better spec IBM/Lenovo, Samsung, HP, Acer, Dell and even some nice curve ball stuff from respected OEM's, the thing is even dropping a few grand on something from any of those OEM's usually ends badly, since IBM sold Lenovo, pretty much nothing will last 8+ years of daily use, let alone still be in the kind of condition where it will likely go on for several more. They have had issues over the years, but I have usually found apple easier to deal with than anyone else in this respect.
OK, it's really a matter of taste. At work we have about 20 laptops all Pro series. We usually replace them when they reach the 10 year threshold. None of them was ever replaced because it failed. They just become to slow to work with... They usually cost about 1.300€ with all their extras.There is just no way to justify spending $3K in a business environment.

If it's your own laptop and you buy it for yourself, you usually make other choices. You may say to yourself "I work hard to earn my money, so I think I deserve to get myself a $3K laptop. This will also allow me to show off to my friends...". Your money, your choice, as long as you are happy with it all is fine!

However there is no business that would choose to buy $3K laptops for its employees. Maybe the company owner, or the CEO may insist on getting such a laptop, but I can see no IT department issuing a general spec to buy $3K for all employees...

Last edited:

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
OP is specifically asking about HIS personal situation, not your hypothetical business case that ignores you can get a reasonable spec MBPr or air for well under €1300 and then jumps to people showing off to friends about $3K laptops (seriously, that's a thing?). For what it's worth, most of the people I know use MacBooks now personally, it generally starts with the build quality being better and eventually you begin to appreciate OSX for what it does.

thefireman

Experienced
May 3, 2020
I have answered the question the OP has asked:
On to your question now. If you are happy with it, then there is no need to change anything. The moment you start feeling it does no longer cover your needs, then it is time to have a look at your upgrade options.
Yes, the are often technological milestones to consider, but put those aside. It's really time to upgrade when you feel like it is time to do so.
I only mentioned the business example because a business will always look for best value for the money solutions. Opposed to personal purchases, where often it's not a question of it being value for money, but getting something special for yourself. What everybody considers as special may vary. There are other companies as well that offer $3K laptops (no need to mention any specific brand) and I have friends that have bought such laptops (from other companies / brands) and will do so again in the future. However, they at least admit that they would be able to work just fine with a laptop that would cost way less than the one they have bought. Nevertheless, they still feel good about having spent the extra cash, as it makes them feel special!

So, to return to the OPs question. No one can tell you what will make you happy. If your current laptop still makes you happy, then stick with it. As soon as this will change (eventually it will, at some time-point), then it's time to look for your new laptop. We live in a consumer society. So spending money makes us happy. That's what it's for....;)

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
This thread has nothing to do with hypothetical business cases or your opinion of what a hypothetical business may or may not do. It also has nothing to do with what may or may not make the op 'feel special', that's just weird :eek:

thefireman

Experienced
May 3, 2020
As I said, we live in a consumer society. The more money we spend the happier we get. It's just the way it is. And spending more does not mean we would not be able to do what we want to do by spending less. Will leave it at this, as it is pointless to discuss it any further. Everybody is welcome to have their own opinion of course and to think differently. That's the way it should be.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending