Discussion Which do you prefer Emby or Plex?

Which do you prefer Emby or Plex?

• Total voters

Xployt

PG Master Sergeant
Tech Lead
Mega Sponsor
Dedicated Sponsor
Sep 26, 2018
Reactions
43 0 0
PG Version
Server Type
Remote - Dedicated Server
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide on which one I prefer. Personally I think Plex looks nicer however Emby has speed and a few more options such as guide support for mobile applications.
I've been using Plex for such a long time but have just started tinkering with Emby in the last couple of days especially with the new Jellyfin fork being used more.

Look forward to your views, pros, cons and general discussion.

pYTTH

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Nov 1, 2018
Reactions
62 0 0
Never used emby, just plex. Happy so far. Can't speak for jelly but will look into it for sure

Xployt

PG Master Sergeant
Tech Lead
Mega Sponsor
Dedicated Sponsor
Sep 26, 2018
Reactions
43 0 0
In the same boat as you @pYTTH.

I love how you actually added @SpencerUk's quote into your signature! haha!

SpencerUk

PG Sergeant
Tech Lead
Apr 17, 2018
Reactions
14 0 0
I've found that Emby seems to put our better picture quality however the interface isn't nowhere near as polished as plex.

ie no realtime scanning in emby if using unionfs mount
web playback interface meh..no continious scroll

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Jan 17, 2018
Reactions
1,991 0 0
I've found that Emby seems to put our better picture quality however the interface isn't nowhere near as polished as plex.

ie no realtime scanning in emby if using unionfs mount
web playback interface meh..no continious scroll
well u guys now have Jellyfin

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Mod | Tech Lead
PG Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Reactions
430 0 0
Each has its strengths. I'll ignore the larger scale side of things (emby per device charge policy for example, Plex's limit on sharing by account/home rather than pin) and the client options for each for the moment. For fire and forget deployment of on-demand content, Roku + Plex is still my weapon of choice for friends/family. For IPTV, emby (and JellyFin) wins by a mile, I also liked the open and community driven approach... until emby did a bait and switch, now i'm pretty much hoping JF can avoid the same mistakes Plex and emby have managed to make.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my projects to focus on what they do, rather than devoting time and energy into petty disputes.

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
+1 on that whole post. Disputes have nothing to do with the application and support for the community. Hell if you have to win a produkt war by dissing then it means your attention isn't on your produkt anymore.

titooo7

PG Master Sergeant
Jul 31, 2018
Reactions
20 0 0
I prefer Plex UI but Emby performance and features

For me Emby is just much better when it comes to playback performance (the movies start playing almost immediately), it's more simple to setup and get it downloading subtitles and it has a free IPTV add-on.

I don't know why Emby performs much better for me since I run both in the same dedicated server and both are scanning the same tdrive mount path... But that's how it is...

Oh and I never had stupid remote connection or indirect connection issues with Emby. Which usef to happy randomly with Plex for no reason.

I will definitely will keep an eye on Jellyfin (terrible name btw)

Last edited:

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Mod | Tech Lead
PG Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Reactions
430 0 0
I will definitely will keep an eye on Jellyfin (terrible name btw)
Because Plex and emby are really great names? C'mon, if it works as advertised, then whatever they want to call it - within the realms of common decency - is fine by me :D

Last edited:

macfreaker

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Dedicated Sponsor
Jul 16, 2018
Belgium
Reactions
77 0 0
I have both running and use also both. Emby runs more smoothly.

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
I have to go with Emby. Yes, the interface lacks a lot of whistles and bells but then again, who needs those? I love that flat look they have and their sort of netflix approach to their UI. Totally agree on the performance and video output quality of transcoding. That's because you can actually set quality settings for that. Built-in IPTV support is amazing and scanning is nothing less then a breeze. Aside all the drame they created, emby is still less bloated then plex when it comes to useless features. If they kept wlaking the road they started on, this would've already been one hell of a produkt. Fingers crossed for jellyfin.

pb1051

PG Sergeant
Nov 6, 2018
Reactions
4 0 0
I bought the Lifetime Plex Pass last year. So for me it's going to be Plex. I'm interested in the Jellyfin project, but I don't really have a reason to migrate.

armin0012002

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Mar 28, 2018
Reactions
42 0 0
I do run both on my server and of course emby run more smother and better than plex

zibbp

PG First Class
Sep 27, 2018
Reactions
3 0 0
I use Plex because it just functions better with all the applications. Emby's UI looks better but is very buggy at times. Another perk that Emby has over plex is the playback speed. If Plex added a playback speed for a few of their clients I'd be happy for life.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Xployt

PG Master Sergeant
Tech Lead
Mega Sponsor
Dedicated Sponsor
Sep 26, 2018
Reactions
43 0 0
Cheers for all your feedback so far everyone.

So far Plex is in the lead with 10 votes and Emby is less than half with only 4.
I appreciate everyone's valid views and arguments as to which you prefer, all great points. Some of you are even running both! Which if I'm honest seems like the best option for myself right now.

However don't stop there, keep on posting!

Caddy

PG Sergeant
Jan 19, 2018
Reactions
21 0 0
I run both have run plex for 5 or more years now I think. I voted Emby. as many have said plex is more polished. but I like the local control of managing users on my server and access control through my server. not through plex.tv.

also iptv native in emby is a huge selling point as well. and able to share it if i want to.

PG Developer Donations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisi21