Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Dexter.

Original poster
Donor
Local time
7:56 AM
Jan 25, 2020
Hello,

I'm pretty new to this stuff and try to figure out which way I should go. I read the posts in your forum, but it's for a newbie very much to understand and I like to start as soon as possible. So maybe you can give me a hint which way I should go. At the moment I just have a home Plex server running which also stores all my files (The server runs with "Openmediavault").

What I want to do:
- Download from usenet (maybe from torrent later)
- transfer files to a Google Account for unlimited space. (dont have google account yet)
- Google Account should be encrypted; Server too if possible/needed
- Plex Server. For the beginning only 2-3 users. Maybe if it work good i would upgrade it to spread it in the family. Content: Mainly 1080p at the moment but i want to have more 4K stuff.
- I want to run everything protected with a VPN (Account already available), encrypted and no logs.
- Budget:
-- Server: not sure what those servers costs... is 10-20 EUR realistic? (I'm open for your opinions)
-- GSuite: 10 EUR
--- Do you pay you Gsuite with real credit card? Is this safe when all data is encrypted)? I was looking for a way to pay anonymous with Crypto but I couldn't find anything). Ebay and some boards are selling accounts, but I think too unreliable if you don't have full control)

I want everything as anonymous, encrypted and secure as possible. (I come from central Europe and many law firms send letters with requests for payment because of copyright ...).

What would you advise me to do? Which way would be good for this "project"?
- I see some Seedbox services like ultraseedbox, seedhost.eu, feralhosting which looks ok, but I'm not sure if this is the way i should go.
- If there are some services which helps to setup everything I'm willing to pay for that too (or maybe someone from this board can help privately)

tsimson

Local time
10:56 PM
Nov 29, 2019
Yo man, look into hetzner dedicated servers. Some people my say they arnt the best but man i love mine it works like a charm. Though its just me usuing it, so im not sure how they perform under load. But i recommend looking at them, or looking at a dedicated server in general, maybe bout 30 bucks a month or more.

And if you worried bout privacy, check out the privacy app on android or iphone, masked credited cards, verry nice, i like! And def encrypted drive.

Also if you want to use usenet no VPN needed, its uses SSL. Newshosting was the best one for me, its at the top of the list on the left.

Also plexguide does it all for you, you just gotta decided how you want to run it, At home or a dedicated server. But seriously once you install it, its very easy to use. admin makes youtube videos that are very very helpful. I dont know much bout this s*hit either but was able to get up n running with youtube, google, and a few nice people.

Once you get your server selected, you gotta get your gdrives, ebay or a legit one. Then look for admins video about setting up an encrypted gdrive, think key words like, "pgblitz gdrive pgmove setup" will get you to the right place. Its all about enabling APIs and what not that lets pg and your drives talk. Again all this is setup in the install script which is very nice, i like! (again)

But gather all your pieces before you start, that worked the best for me.

Reactions: Dexter.

Dexter.

Original poster
Donor
Local time
Jan 25, 2020
Thanks for your answer. What specs should the server from hetzner have? i would like to start with a small one. Are the cloud servers ok for only 1-2 users in the beginning?

tsimson

Local time
Nov 29, 2019
I dont know much about the cloud services, i know people use those to mok setup their servers before they deploy the real thing. I chose the un-smart route and had to rebuild my server every time i messed up XD

tsimson

Local time
Nov 29, 2019
This is what i started with,

• SB35ID: 1138730
  • DC: #HEL1-DC2 (HEL)
  • Traffic: unlimited
Information
  • 4x RAM 8192 MB DDR3
  • 2x HDD SATA 2,0 TB Enterprise
Support services
  • replacement of defective hardware
  • free email support
Price
  • 35,00 € per month, including VAT
  • No Setup Fees

Dexter.

Original poster
Donor
Local time
Jan 25, 2020
Thanks for the answers. I'm still getting through the Wiki go on Githib. Afer this I want to give it a try with the https://plexguide.com/threads/pg-install-instructions.243/ <-- is this still the latest guide on how to install?

Another question: Is it possible that all the downloads from Usenet/Torrent are made through a VPN? Is this something which can be easily configured?

Edrock200

Local time
1:56 AM
Nov 17, 2019
Yes those are the correct instructions but use the first set of install link options, not v9/v10 options at the bottom, those are alpha/beta and not fully functional. Once you run the script and it finishes, type sudo pg, then it will ask for installer version, type "8.7.5" without quotes, then it will ask you to name your node, name it whatever you want. That should be it, that will get you to the main menu to start configuring your box.

Re VPN, you can, there are containers option in the community app section for that purpose but I haven't used them, others here have and may chime in. You may take a performance hit in terms of download speed with vpn, depending on provider and peering. If your Usenet/torrent provider uses SSL, and your trackers are private, you should be fine, but I understand the desire to be extra cautious.

Reactions: Dexter.

Edrock200

Local time
1:56 AM
Nov 17, 2019
I use a seedbox at feralhosting (not affiliated, just a fan.) It's an extra $10/mo but it's hdd space and bandwidth I don't need to give up on my box. If your box is at hetzner, the peering is really good so I just rclone mount via ssh to my feralhosting account and create the mappings in sonarr/radarr/lidarr.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.